Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Tuesday Cat Blog

This is Gayatri, She Who Sings. Also known as The Pirate Queen because one of my eyes was severely damaged when I was young. I don't see why Shakir should have all the fun. Don't get me wrong, he's a fine fellow, especially when he isn't smacking me. Here we are in our salad days (before my surgery to remove my eye).



Having only one eye has never slowed me down. Even at the august age of 10, I zoom around the house and up the climbing tree. I am also a Fearsome Hunter. Some years ago, my humans allowed me out in the garden. I rewarded them by depositing a reptile or small mammal (killed, of course) on the back porch. The ungrateful monkeys wouldn't let me out after that.

And here I am on Mom's shoulder, checking out the new dog. This was a couple of years ago and, after a period of suitably abject worship, the dog went over the rainbow bridge. You would think that made my life perfect, purrrfect, but oh no...



My most recent adventure was both painful and humiliating. I developed an abscess of my anal glands. Sooo embarrassing. The vet, who is otherwise a perfectly civilized human, did Terrible Things to my rear end. Now there is a draining hole, which my humans squirt with betadine and smear with honey (medicinal, they insist) a couple of times a day. That's all right because they also dose me with nice pain meds. Here I am in the Cone of Shame (to prevent me from licking, which is the Obvious Thing to do with wounds). At least I can sit on my bottom again!


5 comments:

  1. I truly don't know what I'd do without my feline familiars. My kitty has seasonal allergies and now has little bumps all over her head. It is difficult to medicate her, but we do what we must for our furry family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many meds can be crushed and then mixed with a highly palatable wet food like Fancy Feast. That's how we got pain meds into Gayatri.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea. Tried it and it works well -- as long as I really crush the pill. Kitties are very smart and they can smell anything not quite right with the moist food. :)

      Delete
  3. Our late Bjorn had allergies, and when the vet learned we were mixing the $30/bottle Benadryl-in-cod-liver-oil from the compounding pharmacy into his gooshy-food 'cause he did NOT "just slurp it right off the spoon", she told us to try cheap kids'-formula Benadryl (9 drops per meal in the gooshy-food). He had no problem with the cherry Benadryl vs. the fish-flavored, and it was $9 at CostCo for two bottles (each TWICE as large as the $30 fish-flavored one). SOME cats aren't as finicky about weird flavors in their canned food...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty skillful at inserting pills into cats, so the issue has never come up. Either that, or we've always had cats that are easy to pill.

      Delete